Monday 2 February 2009

Candlemas Day - Groundhog Day



Groundhog Day in USA, Candlemas Day in Europe – what does it mean? Well basically if the sun shone today it means still 6 weeks of winter to come and if it was cloudy then winter is on its way out. We will see.

It was our local livestock market today and I took 2 helpers with me. It was grey and raining so not surprisingly there wasn’t a full complement of stalls and not many people either. We bought 2 tan ‘cou-nu chicks’ at 6 weeks old and 4 ‘souche lourde’ which are meant to grow bigger than the cou-nu’s. Already they are quite a weight.

The bugs were found in a log split for the fire, anyone know what they are?? The other photo was taken yesterday, down by the playpark.

2 comments:

  1. Don't know what beetles you have over there, but the grubs look like they belong to the longhorn beetle family, Cerambycidae. Do your chickens eat them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello swamp4me, I don't know what the beetles are - I thought they were a bee larvae - we do get wood boring bees. I will try to find out, we do get some huge crawlies.

    I haven't tried these with the chickens yet, these two cane from a cut log.

    ReplyDelete